Thursday, March 23, 2017

Advertising, Irony, and The Ri Do

The tournament is back! And not a moment too soon. I don't think I can go another day without seeing the commercial where the power goes out during a Kentucky-Kansas game.

That commercial bothers me.

Why is the Kansas fan watching what appears to be a big game by himself? Of course, as I noodled that one through last Sunday, I realized that I was hanging out in my basement...which is exactly what I had done for the Steelers' huge game against the Ravens on Christmas night......and all 3 of their playoff games.  Talk about the definition of irony.

But seriously, does that Kanas dude have a generator? He must, right?  How else would he have power when nobody else does?  If so, that 's where the analogy to me ends.  Just ask JD.  He knows that not only would I not have a generator, I certainly wouldn't know how to fire it up.  

One good thing about the commercial? Coca-Cola finally admiting what's it best at: being a mixer.  Oh you didn't get that subliminal message?  Really? You're telling me that there's like 30 UK fans hanging out during a night game against Kansas and all they have is a 6-pack of coke?  Please. The only place in Kentucky where there will be Coca Cola this weekend is HERE.  Every other person knocking on that Kansas dude's door had either Bulleit or Beam.

Anyhow, don't forget about the 2nd Chance Pool. Oh, and it has a new name. Playing off the Irish theme of The Shamrock, a pool that's essentially a "do over" will be called The Ri Do.  Entries due tonight by 7.  Works just like The Shamrock, but you only pick one team per region.  20 Shamrockers have already entered.

Best thing? If you're already in Shamrock17, it's included in your fee.  

That, my friends, is worth buying me a splash of Coke & glass of Tennessee's finest the next time you see me.

Enjoy the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment