Friday, March 18, 2016

Coaches, Moms, and Hot Dogs

My mom loves hot dogs and M&Ms.

What's that got to do with The Shamrock?  Let me tell you.

One of the my favorite parts of coaching was the friendships I made with other coaches. And, within those friendships, I always appreciated how well opposing coaches treated my mom. Especially when her devotion to the Rebels made Johnny Most & Tommy Heinsohn seem impartial about the Celtics in comparison.

There was the time she showed up at my Super Bowl party.  Paul Pecor introduced himself.  She frowned and muttered "i know who are you" as she walked away.

During a game at Essex, I noticed my brother hop up and, with a look of panic on his face, sprint towards the Hornets bench.  Not much makes Patrick panic.  I looked down and there was my mom, on the bench, giving Jeff Goodrich an earful.

Yet, how did things turn out?  Whenever we played Rice or Essex over the final few seasons that I coached, Paul and Jeff would have hot dogs and M&Ms delivered to my mom in the stands.

I know we're only halfway thru the first round.  But, mom, if THIS keeps up, let's just say it's a good thing your new condo is so close to both McGillicudy's and the Hornets Nest Pub.

Enjoy Day 2, especially all you Shamrock fans who are at the 20th Annual Keg Day celebration!



No comments:

Post a Comment